Friday, May 15, 2009

Starting Out

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. That's how IPT is. You just have to try, and then you'll be hooked. No matter what your reasoning for wanting to do this, the biggest barrier will be your own fears of failure, or of being viewed as a loony. I know that I certainly felt silly the first time I held my 4 day old son over the sink and grunted to try to get him to poop. But I tried it anyway, and lo and behold, he pooped right there on the spot.

So, to get yourself started, just try it. You can either hold your baby on a potty, or you can hold them in your arms and hold them over the sink. The latter is my preferred method for younger babies who can't sit up just yet. The following picture gives you an idea of how to do it.I highly recommend trying this for the first time right after baby wakes up from a nap. It can help you to build confidence if you have a successful first try. When baby is waking up, take her to the potty place/sink, hold them over it, and cue them. Say sssst for pee, and grunt for poop. Yes, you'll feel silly, but do it anyway! Don't hold them there for forever, let your intuition guide you on when it's been long enough. In the very early days, we knew potty time was over when their feet started turning purple. (=

Don't get caught up in the whole needing to have your baby diaperless or in cloth diapers thing for now. It's perfectly fine to start out in disposables. To tell you the truth, I have less success when trying to have a "diaper free" or "nakey bum" baby. Maybe it's the motivation of not soiling a diaper that we'll have to throw away or wash that helps me to tune into my baby's cues.

7 comments:

  1. It's great to see you blogging about IPT / EC. Not sure that you're that mainstream simply for the reason that you ARE doing it, not just wrapping your babies in disposable wrap on toilets! LOL.

    Anyway, good luck with your blog, and amazon store!

    Charndra

    P.S If you'd like to share your story on my site, I'd love to include you, with a link to your Amazon Store as well. Here are the other stories:
    http://www.parttimeec.com/ec-stories-index.htm All my members access that page in their guided tour (currently 536)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kayla,

    I was happy to find that you are writing a blog about your IPT experiences!

    If you'll be adding links, here are a few more:
    http://www.timl.com/ipt
    http://www.pottywhisperer.com

    Happy pottying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I'm glad i found your site. I'm going to have a baby in May and I'm so excited about IPT! It's been taking a while to find interesting blogs about it though, so this is great! I plan on blogging my experience too when the time comes.

    What would be great is a description of how you've prepared your house or routine. I'm thinking I would like some waterproof blankies for nursing in my bed (I often do it lying down). I haven't really found anything suitable, so I'm thinking of making some of my own by cutting up some mattress protectors and sewing blankets onto one side. I don't know. I'm going to keep reading for some more ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wanted to say that I love your site and all the info you have. I have a five day old amazing baby boy that I've been using cloth / disposables and EC with and love it. We got our first 'catch' on his second day and last night we caught all of his potty. :)
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is great! Congratulations! We are expecting our third child any day now, and we can't wait to start the process again! I'm planning on making videos and things like that so be sure to stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just about to attempt IPT with my 5 month old. I'm wondering how often I should be taking him to the potty while I'm trying to figure out his cues? Is it beneficial to go once an hour or more while I'm trying to figure out his routine? I'm not as concerned about the poo's as that cue is quite obvious. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Brandy! Sorry for the late reply, I didn't get notified of your comment. I think once an hour is fine! I would err on the side of having some misses rather than taking them too many times. Don't be hard on yourself or him, because figuring out boys' pee schedules are a bit trickier than girls' (in my experience at least)! It also can depend on the time of day. My son will pee frequently in the morning after he first wakes up (usually as soon as he wakes up, then again about 15 minutes later, then it spaces out further), and in the afternoon he doesn't go as frequently. Some babies also tend to go more often if their mom drinks caffeine. I'm a coffee drinker, so that might be why he tends to need to go more frequently in the morning.

      Delete