Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Product Review: bumGenius 3.0 One Size Diapers



The world of cloth diapering can be highly confusing. There are so many choices: all-in-ones, pockets, fitteds, flats, pre-folds, covers, pins, snappis, organic cotton, the list goes on and on. With our first baby, we bought some flat diapers, a few dritz pins, and some snappis. We didn't cloth diaper him much at all, which I regret now. Part of it was feeling overwhelmed by having a newborn for the first time, but part of it was the lack of a good fit with the flats. I was also afraid I'd poke my perfect baby with a pin. The snappis I bought to protect him ended up scratching him so badly that it drew blood. Out went the snappis, and with it, my cloth diapering hopes. Luckily, I had already been turned on to IPT, so I didn't have to spend nearly as much money on disposables as I would have. Along came baby number two, and we were determined to succeed with cloth diapers, in order to keep her aware. We knew about how many diapers we would need, based on our IPT experiences with our firstborn.

After wading through all the choices, we decided to try some bumGenius 3.0s. The cost is around $18 per diaper. Being the cheapskate I am, I probably wouldn't have tried them except for the fact that we had received a giftcard at our baby shower. I am so glad we tried them! The quality is far superior to any of the other diapers we've tried. They are very very durable. When you compare them side by side with the cheaper diapers, it's easy to see the difference in quality. The PUL is very sturdy. The velcro on mine has stayed in perfect condition. On the other brands of diapers I have, the velcro is starting to curl up at the edges, which becomes very annoying. Those other diapers have caused small holes in several shirts we own, so the cheaper diapers have ended up costing us more in the long run. (That's the case with most things, I've found.)

The wonderful thing about one size pocket diapers is that they fit babies from the time they're newborns till they're toddlers (if you still need diapers at that point, and with IPT, you probably won't.) There are snaps so that you can adjust the rise (how far up the diaper goes on the baby's belly). And the velcro tabs make it so you fasten the diaper just like you would a disposable. The only difference is that if a baby soils a bumGenius 3.0, you throw it it the washer, whereas if they did it in a disposable, you throw it in the trashcan. The great thing about these is you can throw them in the washer, then the dryer, and then put them on your baby. No need to hang them to dry. As durable as these bumGenius 3.0s have been so far, I can see them lasting through several more babies.

The only downside to these diapers is that the waist and leg elastic is a little stiffer than some of the other diapers. But on the upside, I am sure this prevents leaks better. It's just that when you potty train your infant, it's rare that you'll have a big accident that would cause leaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment