Saturday, July 4, 2009

Book Review: Infant Potty Basics



Infant Potty Basics, by Laurie Boucke (pronounced Boo-kay) is an excellent source for all people who practice IPT. This book is a simplified version of Infant Potty Training: A Gentle and Primeval Method Adapted to Modern Living. I read this book after I had my second baby, and I wish I had read it before my first was born. Since you are going against the grain of what is "normal" in Western culture when doing IPT, it is easy to feel unsure of yourself. Boucke provides comfort in the form of solid research as to how potty training your infant is absolutely the norm in many parts of the world. She describes, in detail, the way various cultures potty train their babies, from India to Africa. She gives tips and tricks on how to do IPT most effectively, and shares others' IPT stories. Also included are photos of kids using the potty, which can give you more ideas of ways to potty your child.

When you're trying IPT with your first child, it is hard to be confident about how much success you'll have, or even if you're doing the right thing at all. But with this book in hand, you can have a little more confidence when people start asking you questions. Even after successfully doing this with one child, it is nice to have a well researched book to point to as evidence that IPT does work. It is also helpful to have a reference on days when you are doubting yourself, or you have had a lot of misses. This book is an easy and quick read, with loads of really good information.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kayla and thanks for reviewing my book! I tried to send you an email but it bounced back. Please let me know how to contact you, thanks!

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kayla and thanks for reviewing my book! I tried to send you an email but it bounced back. Please let me know how to contact you, thanks!

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laurie, my email is kaylamcox @ gmail.com (just leave out the spaces I put in there, I did that to try to prevent spam.)

    ReplyDelete