Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Biggest Lie We Tell Ourselves

"I don't have time..." I've come to the conclusion that this little phrase is the biggest lie we tell ourselves. It is an excuse we use all the time. In looking through some of the blog posts I wrote before I had kids, I realized that back then I was always making the excuse that I was just so busy, that I didn't have time to do A, B, or C. It's easy to see in hindsight that I did have plenty of spare time. I was lying to myself. I even catch myself now saying I don't have time, when really, I do. I "didn't have time" when I was married with no kids living in California while my husband was in the Marine Corps and I was a homemaker. I "didn't have time" when I had one baby, lived in California (no family and few friends out there). Nowadays, my husband works full time, goes to school online full time, I have a 3 year old and a 5 month old, and we're around family and friends; yet, the difference is that now I know I have time, even if I need to remind myself sometimes.

The fact is, we do have time. Don't let "I don't have time" prevent you from trying IPT, or doing any of those other things you'd like to try or need to do. I highly recommend FlyLady for all you out there who feel overwhelmed by life. (Actually, my first recommendation is the Bible, but I won't get all preachy.) I'm convinced that all this talk about "Hurried Mother Syndrome" is directly related to the lie "I don't have time." If you tell yourself you do have time, you will find that you'll get those things accomplished that need accomplishing. On the other hand, if your mindset is "I don't have time" you'll end up always rushing around (not getting much done), like the rabbit in Alice in Wonderland. If you're doing IPT and feeling overwhelmed, remember to tell yourself that you do have time. When you stop rushing around, you'll start to relax and realize you can fit all the things you need to do. As my mom always says, "Work fills the time allotted."

No comments:

Post a Comment