Sunday, September 13, 2009

Staying Out Of Your Comfort Zone

Ah, the comfort zone. We all love it don't we? Well, maybe we do, or maybe it's kind of a love/hate relationship. We all love to be comfy in our lives, but then on the other hand, we can begin to feel like we're in a rut. Personally, I like to stay out of my comfort zone. Or at least, after I've been in it a while, I try to break out of it. It's kinda been a repeating theme through my life. I convinced my mama to home school me after I got tired of public school. I was in the tenth grade at the time. Then after a year and a half, I was accepted to a college on a full scholarship. After I got comfortable there, but unfortunately before I finished my degree, I decided to get married and move to California. Talk about being out of a comfort zone! I went from being 15 minutes away from home and family to being on the opposite side of the country, surrounded by complete strangers. I missed my home in Georgia, but it was quite exhilarating, being out there on the West coast, newly married to a Marine who was set to deploy to Iraq in about 7 months.

I digress. What I wanted to talk about was staying out of your comfort zone when it comes to potty training your infant. Staying out of your comfort zone is a good thing, for both you and your baby. It add interest to your day. Make it a game. See how long you can keep your baby in cloth trainers without having a miss, after you get to the point where you're comfortable with IPT and you're not having many misses. Taking a step towards "graduation" (defined however you want it to be) gives you a sense of accomplishment, and it helps your baby learn.

For example, if you've been using disposable diapers and your baby is doing great, try using a cloth diaper or a pair of cloth trainers for a while, and see how you and your baby do. You might just surprise yourself; you might not need to be using disposables anymore. You may be able to switch completely. Conversely, you might find that you're having a lot of misses, which might mean (in the case of disposables) that your baby is having misses, but the super absorbency of the diaper is not alerting you to that fact. Making the move from disposables to trainers is a little intimidating, but it's a good way to keep your baby aware. Awareness, to me, is the most important thing to keep in mind with IPT. If your baby stays aware (that is, they feel wet, or they go through the act of a diaper change right after "going") IPT will be so much easier. If your baby is trained to pee and poop in her diaper, not associating the action ("I went pee") to a consequence ("I feel wet"), it will make IPT a difficult thing to do.

Don't make it stressful on yourself though. If you're still having lots of misses, stay with what you're doing. But there will come a point where you'll feel ready for the next step. Don't be afraid to take it!

No comments:

Post a Comment