Saturday, September 26, 2009

Why Doesn't Everybody Do This?

I love doing IPT with my babies. I love that I get a little bit more into their world by potty training them from birth. I love the fact that I save soo much money by doing this. I really love that I'm not sending tons of disposable diapers to the landfill. I am really starting to get a kick out of the look on people's faces when I tell them my 6 month old poops on the potty. So, with all this love I'm feeling, it leaves me in wonder that some people don't want to do this.

My personal theory is that most people do it because of the fear of being an outcast. Alas, more people would do IPT if it was more common. (= As I've talked about here, there will be people who think you're crazy for even wanting to try. But only you have to change all those diapers, so don't let others talk you out of it. Heck, some people will try to talk you out of breastfeeding too. The best thing you can do is arm yourself with lots of knowledge about infant potty training. Try visiting the IPT links on this site,
email me with questions.
, and if you still need help, Google it. Remember to try the phrases infant potty training, elimination communication, trickle treat, and potty whispering in your search.

Some people don't even attempt it because both parents work outside the home. Daycare more than likely won't offer a baby a potty; but if you have grandparents watching your baby while you work, they just might take your baby to the potty. You never know until you ask. Be sure to offer to show them how to do it. Putting a tiny baby on a potty or holding them over the sink can be quite an intimidating prospect, since it's just so uncommon. If you are in the situation where you can't do IPT because you work outside the home, you can by all means do it part time after work, or on the weekends.

Some people try it a couple of times, get impatient and quit. Like in any other thing in life, perseverance is key. Potty training does take time, whether you start from birth or at 6 months or a year or later. Some babies learn faster than others, some are more independent than others. Set small attainable goals, and don't be hard on yourself or your baby. If you're having problems, talk to others who do IPT, like me! I can sit here and write about this all day, but sometimes one on one conversations are better.

Some people get freaked out by going out in public. You have several options. I love these two options:


The Potty On-The-Go is awesome. Set it up in your car, and you'll be able to take your baby potty before you go in the store, in the comfort of your car. Or, get a padded potty seat insert, which transforms a big public toilet into a comfy potty place for your baby. As a bonus, most of those potty seats have popular cartoons on them, which makes potty time more fun and relaxing for your baby.

One last reason I can think of: people are told in baby books that babies have no control over their elimination muscles until the age of 3. It's complete baloney. I don't know why pediatricians have fallen for this one, but there's plenty of evidence to the contrary. Check out the IPT links for some neat medical articles.

So, again, if you're thinking about IPT, go for it! You'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment