Friday, October 2, 2009

A Gross Post

For many of you today's post will definitely fall under the category of TMI. This post is only for those of you whose sensibilities aren't easily offended.

For a variety of reasons, I cccasionally I like to try to look at the world through my baby's eyes. Sometimes I do it to see if my disciplining makes sense, or just to take a trip back to my own childhood, and other times, I do it to see how my baby views this whole infant potty training thing.

I got inspired to write this post when I was straightening up my bathroom the other day, and I noticed a box of maxi pads. I was thinking about how humans have come such a long way in their offering of feminine products, from having nasty old cloth rags to the current offerings of super ultra absorbent ultra thin maxi pads. As time goes on, companies like StayFree and Always continually study how to keep women feeling clean and dry despite the unseemly affects of menstruation. The technology is quite good now, I can attest. Despite a heavy flow, many times you haven't got the slightest sensation of moisture. And that got me to thinking about the whole disposable diaper thing.

Disposable diapers keep your baby clean and dry, as best they can. They use the same technology that the maxi pad companies use. Companies like Pampers, Huggies, and Luvs are all working tirelessly to ensure that when your baby poops or pees in his diaper, he will continue to feel clean and dry. See where I'm going with this? Disposable diaper companies are striving (not nefariously, mind you) to make it so that babies will not feel wet or dirty when they go in their diaper. Which sounds good doesn't it?

Except. Except that logically, if a baby is being taught for the first 2 or even 3 (or nowadays sometimes even 4 or 5) years that when they go poop and pee there is no consequence (no "I feel wet" or "I feel dirty" effect) then won't that make it confusing and difficult for the child when potty training is to commence? The conventional wisdom of today says wait until a baby shows signs of "readiness." Except, diapers are becoming more and more absorbent, and they therefore feel less uncomfortable when baby goes. Won't that make it so a baby won't want to potty train until much later?

Did you know some kindergartners are showing up for there first day of school not potty trained? Why is this happening? Does that sound healthy or positive? I certainly think its gross. I wonder if the baby boomer generation is shaking its collective head at our generation, asking, what are you thinking?

2 comments:

  1. Sad but true. Big Diapers have certainly found a way to frighten parents into delaying toilet learning by a number of years.

    When "Trickle Treat" was published in 1991, I expected environmentalists to support it, but they weren't interested. They are locked in to specific causes and agendas. For 20 years now, I have been hoping that the environmentalists would stand up for IPT as a great way to conserve resources and reduce the use of landfill space. So far, it hasn't happened.

    The baby boomer generation doesn't seem concerned either, perhaps because there is so much unfounded fear-mongering about early toilet training.

    Anyway, love your blog! It's a ray of sunshine!

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It blows my mind that environmentalists don't jump on the IPT bandwagon. But then again, a lot of things environmentalists jump on the bandwagon for are actually unfriendly to the environment. Go figure.

    I do hate all the fear mongering about early toilet training. It's completely unfounded, and it's sad that it's so widespread. On a related note, I had (notice the past tense) a baby book that said children don't understand the word "no" until the age of....3. ??? What on earth is going on with child rearing these days?

    I'm glad you like my blog! Thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete