Saturday, October 24, 2009

Oh, What a Night

Infant Potty Training at night sounds daunting doesn't it? Do you envision waking up every 15 to 20 minutes to take your baby to the potty, all the while listening to her screeches that can only mean "how dare you take me out of my nice warm bed?" Well, in my experience, that's totally not the case. Let me tell you about the experience I had with my first baby.

Baby E is a very high need baby. The first few months were extremely challenging. Hours of screaming at night, and then finally, he'd go to sleep. Even after he became a good sleeper, I was fearful of doing IPT at night. I kept thinking, well, he'll eventually stay dry on his on. So I kept waiting, and then the 6 month marker (the time when a lot of babies stay dry through the night) came and went. At around 9 months, I knew we were going to have to bite the bullet and start taking him when he roused up during the night. Much to my surprise, we both got a better nights sleep. Why? Because when I wasn't taking him, he'd rouse up (because he needed to pee), nurse, fall asleep, rouse again (because he still needed to pee), nurse, fall asleep, and on and on. Once I started taking him potty at night, it would go like this: rouse up, go to the potty, come back to bed, nurse, sleep until daybreak. Sometimes he'd even skip the nursing and go back to sleep on his own. Plus, we weren't using up a disposable trainer at night anymore. And that's not to say there were no nights when he screamed at me for daring to put him on the potty, and that there were no nights when he didn't wake up a lot to nurse.

Fast forward to baby number 2, another Baby E. We've been taking her potty at night from the beginning. (With the occasional exception when I just absolutely am so zonked that I just don't wake up enough to take her.) I have gotten so much more sleep with her than I did with my son. Nighttime IPT has just become a habit we've gotten into, and it's really simple now. The main trick is to take her the moment you notice her moving around in her sleep. That means she's gotta go, and so it's important to take her quickly. It's tempting, I know, to just see if they'll fall back to sleep on their own; but in my experience it doesn't happen that way, and then you end up with a baby who's now wide awake and wet. So just go ahead and take her, then get back in bed and nurse if needed.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting and helpful! The children are adorable :-))

    Thanks for posting this article, Kayla.

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete