Sunday, March 21, 2010

IPT During The Stomach Virus

There is definitely a time when disposable diapers have an excellent function: when your family has the stomach virus. My daughter (now 1) got it first, and so we decided to put her in a diaper since we figured she'd get diarrhea. Unbelievably, throughout the whole cycle, she didn't have a single accident. The diapers were a great ease to my mind though, which is important. (Side note: if you are EVER feeling stressed out about infant potty training, switch to disposables to give yourself a break! You might find that you only need an hour or two to get your batteries recharged!) I was surprised that my daughter actually fussed and refused to "go" in the diaper; she waited till I could take her to the potty.
The stomach bug is not fun at all. My son (3 1/2) and husband woke up at midnight very sick, and I feared I'd be next, and I really had no idea how I could handle it all. So, I started to pray. I also went to my medicine closet to get these:



Unfortunately, I had misplaced one of the Sea-Bands. They worked wonders for me when I had morning sickness with my two pregnancies. They also really help my sister who gets carsick. So what was I to do? Well, they say necessity is the mother of invention, and I found that to be true. The way these Sea-Bands work is by the principle of acupressure. The pressure point in your wrist apparently can be manipulated such that you don't feel nauseated. So, I tried to quickly figure out a way to replicate what Sea-Bands do. They fit pretty tightly, so a scrunchie wouldn't work. Here's what I ended up doing:

First, you have to find the pressure point. Take your first three fingers and place them starting at the bottom of your hand, thusly:

Next, take two dried white beans (or any other small round object) and place them on the point.


Lastly, take some masking tape and tape the beans to your wrist. The tape needs to go all the way around your wrist in order for there to be enough pressure on the pressure point. Use your judgment as to how tight to get it. You don't want to be in pain, but you do want the beans pressing into the point.


That's it. It'll do in a pinch. And if you find yourself feeling queasy when you don't have beans and masking tape, you could always just press your thumbs into each wrist's pressure points.

2 comments:

  1. Did you and Elizabeth ever get the stomach virus? We had it here, too. Nadia and Randy started getting sick last Saturday. I haven't gotten it. What a great post! Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth got it first, and she did really well with it, if you can do well when you're throwing up. I had it, just in a, hm, different way. (:

    ReplyDelete