Friday, July 29, 2011

Dr. Manny Is Wrong

A week or so ago, on Fox News I saw a news story about a breastfeeding doll. Apparently there's a kerfuffle because this doll comes with an apron that the girl wears. There's a magnet or some sensor in the apron in the general vicinity of where breastfeeding happens, and that activates the doll's sucking reflex. Dr. Manny was claiming this was horrible, because it was "blurring the line between womanhood and childhood." A mommy blogger was also on there, and she told Dr. Manny that if he couldn't see breasts as anything but sexual, then that spoke more about him than it made any points for his case.

Now, I think the problem is, there are a lot of people in this nation who weren't breastfed. I wasn't. I was kinda creeped out by the whole thought of it until my sister-in-law talked about breastfeeding with me, and I was able to ask questions. Eventually I breastfed my babies, and then I really started to understand what it is all about.

Now, back to Dr. Manny's issue. His belief is that by giving a girl this doll, the girl would be confused as to whether she was a woman or a child. Presumably, he has no qualms with giving a girl a doll with a baby bottle, and feeding it with the bottle. And yet, that's exactly what this breastfeeding doll does. It gives a girl an opportunity to pretend she's a breastfeeding mommy.

NEWSFLASH Dr. Manny: babies who breastfeed turn into toddlers who pretend they are breastfeeding! Both my kids, a boy and a girl, by the way, pretended with stuffed animals that they were breastfeeding. They'd raise up their shirt, and put the stuffed animal there. It was no big deal, and in fact, it was pretty darn cute!

I think this simply speaks to the larger issue that there are a lot of "child experts" (psychologists, pediatricians, OB/GYNs, etc) who simply don't understand breastfeeding at all. This is especially harmful because they'll go spout off about these things that they don't understand, and discourage women from breastfeeding in the first place.

What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Yes, all children who are raised around breastfeeding pretend to breastfeed during toddlerhood. My kids did it, my sisters kids did it, and my sister-in-law's kids did it. I think it's kind of funny that they made a doll for that, but I see no harm in it at all. Kids pretend they are grown up all the time. That's what kids do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so loved this post :) You worded everything so very well.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete